If you’re injured in a truck accident, you’re going to want someone to pay. It’s one thing when you get into a crash with another car or SUV. At least in these cases you stand a chance. But nobody in a passenger vehicle stands a chance against a tractor trailer. Trucks are just so dangerous, people who are hit by them tend to suffer serious injuries or even death so it is important to have someone be named in a truck accident lawsuit.
When this happens, your truck accident lawyer in Columbus, Georgia will fight to get you compensation. They’ll pursue all possible defendants so you get as much money as possible. This may mean you need to pursue more than just the truck driver. In fact, in any tractor trailer accident, your attorney is going to pursue the trucking company. They are, after all, responsible for the actions of their employees. And your chances of getting paid by the trucking company is a lot better than they are against the individual driver.
If you’re involved in a truck accident in Georgia, you should call and talk to an experienced truck accident lawyer in Columbus. They’ll negotiate with the trucking company’s insurance company and try to get your claim paid. If that doesn’t work, they’ll file a lawsuit on your behalf. Let your lawyer handle the legal side of things so you can focus on getting better.
Why is the Trucking Company Liable for Your Accident?
For truck accident lawyers, it makes perfect sense that a trucking company would be vicariously liable for their drivers’ actions. If a truck driver is negligent and causes an accident, their employer should have to pay. But just because this is the law doesn’t mean they’ll be willing to pay. Just like another driver, the insurance company may deny your claim. This could be for any number of reasons, including:
- They think you caused the crash
- The driver wasn’t on the clock at the time of the accident
- They don’t believe you were injured
- They think you had pre-existing injuries
- You didn’t file your claim in time
- They think they can pay less if they take their chances in court
Hopefully, this won’t be the case with your accident. However, if your claim is denied, your Columbus truck accident lawyer will try to settle the claim with the insurance company. Rest assured that most cases do settle. If your lawyer needs to file suit, so be it. That doesn’t mean your case won’t settle. More than 90% of all car accident cases settle including those filed against trucking companies.
The Trucking Company May Be Liable for Damages
If your Columbus accident lawyer is able to win your case, the trucking company will be liable for your damages. Some of these may include:
- Medical bills – The defendant will have to reimburse you or your insurance company for any medical bills associated with the crash. This includes any future medical care you may need.
- Lost wages – If you missed time from work due to the accident, the defendant will be held responsible for these. This also includes lost future earnings. If you’re left disabled after the accident, you may be able to demand lost future earnings.
- Property Damage – Obviously, your car is going to be damaged or destroyed in a truck accident. The defendant needs to pay to get your car repaired or replaced.
- Pain and Suffering – Given the serious injuries involved in a trucking accident, you’ll probably be entitled to pain and suffering.
Contact an Experienced Tractor Trailer Accident in Columbus
If you or your loved one are hurt in a trucking accident, you should call our office. An experienced truck accident lawyer will fight to get you compensation for your injuries. This may mean they need to file suit on your behalf. If that’s the case, they will name the trucking company as one of the defendants. The trucking company’s insurance company should want to negotiate a settlement of your claim. The last thing they want is negative publicity from an accident.
Call our Local Georgia Law Firm today and schedule your initial consultation. You can sit down with a skilled truck accident lawyer absolutely free. They can review your case and let you know what it’s worth. They can also answer any questions you might have. This way, you know whether or not you have a valid claim against the trucking company. The consultation is free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.